Chapter 1: Requirements
- Windows PC
- Cardreader (RFID/Barcode) (We recommend to use the reader from this webshop:http://goo.gl/6uBU8d)
- Automatic door + manual switch (Assumption: the automatic door is installed and there is a manual button connected to open it)
- Relay (USB 4 v1.0 KMtronic)
- Screw terminal
- Latest version of the Check-in- client: https://virtuagym.com/download/check-in-app/setup.exe
- (In some cases) Windows drivers for the card reader
- USB A-B Printer cable for the Relay -> PC connection (picture)
- Intercom cable, 2 wires (2x0,6 mm²)
Figure 1: the final diagram showing all the connections
Connecting the relay and manual switch to the automatic door
First situation is ideal: a automatic door with a manual switch.
Chapter 2: Steps for installation
Below you see a quick overview of the steps to be performed. A more detailed explanation for every step can be found in the following pages.
1. Disconnect the cable from the manual switch
2. Split the cable
3. Reconnect one end of the cable to the switch
4. Connect the other end to the relay
5. Connect the relay and card reader to the PC with the USB cables
6. Download and install the Check-in- client software on the PC (you can find the download link in Business Settings -> Connections)
7. Open the settings of the Check-in- client software and add the reader
8. Add clients to Virtuagym and connect their account to an RFID card or bracelet
Step 1: Disconnecting the cable from the switch
First the switch needs to be disconnected so we’re able to split up the cable. Open up the switch and disconnect the cable from it.
Step 2 & 3: Splitting the cable
After disconnecting the cable from the switch, we’ll need to split up the cable so we can connect the relay as well as the switch. A simple connector strip can be used to split the cable, like shown in figure 4. The cable goes in on one side, and two new cables have to be connected to the other end.
Now that we have two cables connected to the automatic door, reconnect the manual switch first, and check if it’s still working. After that the relay can be connected.
Step 4: Connecting the relay
Hold the Relay as shown on figure 5, so you’re able to read the connection types (NO, COM, NC). Relay #1 is the one that’s on the far right on the picture. Now connect the wires to the NO and COM connectors of Relay #1.
Step 5: Connect the relay and card reader to the PC with the USB cables
Now that the relay and the switch are connected to the door, the card reader and the relay can be connected to the PC. This consists of just plugging in the USB cables. When there’s too much of a distance between the PC and the door, it might be convenient to add a USB-hub and/or USB extension to the connection. This will also allow you to tuck away the cables more neatly.
As soon as the devices are connected correctly, lights will turn on on both the relay and the card reader. At this point Windows might install some drivers on the PC, wait for them to finish if that’s the case. That’s the last part of connecting the hardware.
6. Download and install the Check-in- client software on the PC
Now that the hardware part is done, we can connect the turnstile to our software. You can download this from Business Settings -> Connections. Run the setup.exe file and the application will be installed, a shortcut will be created on the desktop. Run the application and it will tell you to add a card reader*.
Please note! If you get an error while starting the check-in software, it can be that you have to change something in your settings on your desktop. The error will be: 'check-in client stopped working'. If you retrieve this error, please check the steps you have to follow to solve the error:
- Open services.msc (Windows startmenu -> search for services.msc)
- In the list of services, look for ‘Smart Card’
- Richt-click and go to properties
- Under ‘startup type’, select Automatic
- Under Service Status, press Start
- Click Apply and OK
- Start the check-in-client again and it should work
Go to the task bar icon of the application (bottom right), right-click it and open the settings (figure 7).
- In the settings, click ‘add new’ to open the menu for adding card readers.
- Select the scanner, give it a name (turnstile) and enter the check-in-key for the gym (you can find the check-in key in your business settings > connections > check-in settings).
- Tick the box ‘Enable Relay Control’ to control the door. Select a COM port and put the relay number on 1. Click ‘Test Relay’ to test for the right COM port and check if the door opens.
- Once the door opens, the right port is selected. Click OK and restart the program.
Once you have added new clients in the online portal, you can connect their account to any RFID object, read more about that in this article.
Also, you can set certain settings for your check-in. Read more about the settings in this article.